The British National Party – a mash-up challenge

November 19, 2008

Nazi posterThe British National Party once posted my email address on their website.

I got 400 emails of varying degrees of unpleasantness – my favourite being the one that described me as a “nigger-loving, Jew.”

Yes, it takes a lot of imagination to work racism against black people and anti-semitism into one easy epithet.

Now the BNP says it isn’t a racist, thuggish party, but I’m certainly glad they didn’t know where I lived, given the nature of the material.

And I’m very glad I now know where they live.

But here’s my challenge – who’ll be first to mash up the data and produce a map of the membership? You ought to be able to do it without revealing personal details.

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

Nigel Barlow November 19, 2008 at 10:30

Quick off the mark Adrian

Good idea

andy November 19, 2008 at 10:42
Ben November 19, 2008 at 12:35

Someone already has… http://spod.cx/

Tim Worstall November 19, 2008 at 14:15

This has been mentioned. A title suggested was “fascistsnearu.com”

nigel November 19, 2008 at 15:13

you asked for the list converted into a map…
best i can do with publicly available postcode data

Matt Wells November 19, 2008 at 16:04
Adrian Monck November 19, 2008 at 18:52

@Nigel – Nice work.
@Andy – I’d like to see it tested properly. At the moment the law is the proverbial ass.
@Tim – I think I prefer nazineighbour.net – the No.1 name in anti-social networking.

Spectacle November 23, 2008 at 16:34

Are you aware that the FT and the Observer have revealed your fellow Spectator columnist David Lovibond is listed as a BNP activist ?

Adrian Monck November 23, 2008 at 16:44

I’ve never written for the Spectator…are you confusing me with someone?

Spectacle November 24, 2008 at 21:48

Sorry for the mistake as I fully agree with your article but the Spectator do quote and link to your blog on the BNP.

I was really hoping you did write for them as under Boris Johnston they’ve been publishing a BNP activist called David Lovibond.
The FT revealed this the day before Boris Johnston announced a potential amnesty for long-term immigrants. Perhaps I’ve watched too much Yes Minister but I suspect the amnesty to be no more than damage limitation spin.

Rhory Fraser November 26, 2008 at 20:44

I’d say n****r-loving j** was fairly accurate and descriptive. I’d have added ‘smug liberal fascist with small prick’

Adrian Monck November 26, 2008 at 20:58

@Rhory – sorry to have asterisked your comment. But thanks for reminding readers of the anti-semitism and racism that skulks beneath the surface of defenders of the British National Party.

You wouldn’t be related to this Rhory Fraser who regularly comments on the BNP?

rhory fraser Says:

January 18th, 2006 at 6:53 pm |

I’m a policeman who was on duty on the day mentioned above. The BNP supporters numbered 300 and the opposition, 300, peaking at about 600. The BNP supporters looked fairly normal to me – a mix of old and young, with a fair number of women. I certainly wouldn’t describe most of them as thuggish, although a few looked a bit heavy. I would describe their behaviour as good, overall. The UAF crowd on the other hand were extremely rowdy and difficult to control and many of their number seemed intent on violence and had to be restrained from breaking out of their area.

I think you mean ‘forty five’ students not ‘fourty five’. Students!

Are you really a police officer?

Shaun Udal November 27, 2008 at 10:16

Dear Adrian,

You seem unpleasantly delighted at the potential suffering inflicted on people purely for their political beliefs. This is illiberal surely? And whhy do left-leaning commentators always attempt to skew any debate on the BNP by raising the spectre of Nazi skinheads? The fact that one or two loonies want to sling abuse at you (very convenient, the message above, wasn’t it?) does not make most or indeed many BNP supporters Nazi loonies. I’m Asian but I find the mud-slinging on both sides and the refusal to actually debate the issues involved very counter-productive

Adrian Monck November 27, 2008 at 10:26

That would be Shaun Udal, Middlesex Cricket captain?

I’m afraid it’s not convenient at all “Shaun.”

The racism and anti-semitism underlying BNP support are real, but sock-puppets like you sadly aren’t. Asian eh? Give me a break.

You’re also utterly mistaken in my beliefs.

No more phoney BNP comments please.

Chris Hanretty November 28, 2008 at 11:16

http://bnpnearme.co.uk/ has done it.

As a political scientist though, I want more mashups. If only CACI’s income-by-postcode data were easily available, someone could do a nice write-up on the sociological profile of BNP members… (technically, on the sociological profiles of the postcodes/postcode sectors they live in: adjust nitpicking filter as appropriate).

Chris Close December 4, 2008 at 14:07

Do you mean the list of BNP members which seems to have found its way onto my web site but then for balance, I have added the link to the offences actually carried out by the members of the ‘mainstream’ Parties?

I have concluded it must be something to do with politicians, they are all weird………..